How to become a childminder













Love children and want to help give them the best start in life? Being a registered childminder is the ideal job for you.

Anyone who looks after one or more children under the age of 8 years in England or under the age of 12 years in Wales, to whom they are not related, on domestic premises, for reward, and for a total of more than two hours in any day must register as a childminder.

Average time: 3-6 months | Average cost: £700

Average time: 3-6 months

Average cost: £500



So what do I need to become a Childminder?

It'll take you an average of 3-6 months to go from today to being a qualified childminder, but it has been done in just 8 weeks! Here are your steps to becoming a childminder:

1: You'll need to sort your training out first

Cost: £400

You will need:

  • Level 3 Childminding Unit Certificate (RQF) - this Level 3 course offers an Ofqual Regulated Unit from the Level 3 Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce. This means that you will achieve an accredited certificate to show potential clients, employers and parents upon completion. 
  • Accredited Paediatric First Aid knowledge certificate - this online Paediatric First Aid (PFA) course is completed entirely online and is accredited by the Highfield Awarding Body for Compliance. 
  • CPD-accredited Safeguarding Children certificate - this online course covers mandatory training on the safeguarding of children in many different areas.

Childminding Package


Buy Now

2: Then you'll need to get your DBS check

Cost: £38
Cost: £38 per 16+ year old in the home

Cost: £13/year (annual update service)

The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) carries out enhanced checks with barred lists on anyone working with children to ensure the children are safe. DBS checks usually take about 6 weeks, and the fees can be found in the guidance on DBS checks.

3: Next, you'll need face-to-face first-aid training

Cost: £100+

You'll need to have the 12-hour training with one online course and one in-person course. The Paediatric First Aid (PFA) online course you receive as part of the package will cover your 6 hour online trainig. Just go online and search for Paediatric First Aid face-to-face training in your area. You can take your PFA certificate you achieve with us. 

Go online to find the 6-hour in-person training in a centre near you.


4: You'll need to complete the Health Declaration Booklet

Cost: FREE

You can find this online on the government website here. Ensure that your GP has signed it, confirming that you have no health conditions which may prevent you from working as a childminder

5: You'll need 3 references and their contact details

Cost: FREE

Make sure you have 3 reliable references; 1 should be your current or most recent employer (if applicable), and 2 can be references from friends but not family. You must inform them that Ofsted will probably contact them.

6: You'll use the above resources to register yourself with Ofsted

Cost: £35 (if looking after 0-5 year olds)
Cost: £103 (if looking after 5-8 year olds)
Cost: you won't need to register if you are looking after 9 years of age and over only. See more information here

Choose which register to apply for. You'll need to register for the Early Years Register if you care for children between 0-5 years old. You'll need to register for the Childcare Register if you care for children between 5-8 years old. If you are looking after children of multiple ages, you will need to apply for both registers. This application process can take up to 12 weeks but has been known to be quicker.

7: You'll need to get Public Liability Insurance

Cost: £25 to £100 (approx.)

8: Ofsted will visit

This is more of a suitability check than an inspection to ensure you and your home are suitable to provide childcare. Your inspector will check:

  • Your identity, equipment and premises
  • Your eligibility as a Childminder
  • How you will support children with their learning and development
  • How you will meet safeguarding and welfare requirements
  • Your risk assessment
  • Your public liability insurance

That's it!

Once approved by Ofsted, you are ready to go!

← Previous Next →

Like this post?

Lisa Spencer
Marketing Manager