- Everyone remembers that old nursery rhyme where we sang "it's raining, it's pouring, and the old man is snoring". Well, I do anyway. Back then, infant school teachers or child care workers gave us activities that kept us occupied. Now, things are a little different. If it's raining outside, young children are more prone to spending time on a smartphone or tablet device. Whether it is an online video of Pepper Pig or playing candy crush. But as you may already know, young children who spend too much time on a mobile or tablet device, are doing themselves more harm than good. So it is time we go back to basics, and introduce some exciting activities to keep children away from the screen and have some real fun.
As child care providers, you may have seen how quickly children become glued to a digital screen. First, there was the smartphone with its addictive gaming apps, then we saw tablets with its larger screen where children can play games or stream videos, and now, we see children becoming fully immersed inside a virtual world through VR headsets.
I remember when I was young, and I might be showing my age here, we didn't have this kind of technology and we spent most of our childhood outdoors. But now, as we are seeing a growing number of VR headsets on children, and this looks set to continue with the VR market set to be worth $15.6...
- For me, the thought of children being looked after a robot can bring a shiver down my spine. I mean, it is definitely not humane, and neither is it normal. But similar to how robots have benefitted the elderly care sector, there is an argument which says that robots in child care can benefit the sector. In this article, I'll take a look at both sides of the argument. Related Learning: Level 2 Certificate for the Children ...
One in three councils throughout the UK hire male child care workers in the sector. The female-dominated sector, of which 98% is female, has been encouraging more men to join the workforce in an effort to improve diversity.
But with such little uptake, what are the reasons as to why men don't pursue a career in childcare?
Male Child Care is Not Macho Enough
Diving into the realm of social gender stereotyping here, but the fact is, a lot of men don't see it as a “man's” job. Society has been conditioned to believe that men are the de-facto bread-winner, and women look afte...
Looking after a child who has Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) comes with its own unique set of challenges. There are no concrete rules for caring for a child that has ADHD since each child is different. Some children might have a milder form of ADHD, others could present more severe symptoms. That said, children who have been diagnosed with ADHD can greatly benefit from a tailor-made approach.
What is ADHD?
- on September 13, 2018The General Data Protection Regulation, or GDPR, went into effect in the UK on May 25, 2018. As of this writing, the first lawsuits under this new regulation have already been filed against Facebook and Google to the tune of USD 8.8 billion. While these are multi-billion dollar companies that have come under the gun, it is prudent to consider how this law could change your nursery or childcare data intake and protection processes. Before this new law, information was regulated by the Data Protection Act ...
Fortnite, as you may know, has become the hottest game of 2018 and has taken social media by storm. If you go on YouTube, you'll find a whole host of online videos of Fortnite players sharing their gameplay footage (for reasons that I don't know) and some of these videos have garnered over 7 million views.
However, as I was scrolling through these videos, I came across a video entitled “My 5 Year Old Little Sister Plays Fortnite For The First Time!”. The video has gained over 2 million views, and it got me thinking, should young children be playing Fortnite?
And if you're a childminder or work in child care, should you permit them to play it?...
- on July 31, 2018
Have you ever wondered what childcare looks like in different countries around the world? Do you think we pay too much for our childcare here in the UK? In this post, we take a look at childcare in five different countries across the globe. Which of these countries do you think has the best childcare?
According to research from Care.com and New America back in 2016, the average c...
- The different sectors and jobs in childcare
- Why it's a career industry worth joining
- The stigma surrounding men working in childcare
- Average earnings and working hours
- How you can progress in childcare
- What people working in childcare have to say
1. The Different Sectors of ChildcareThis industry has various sectors for people to work in. You could take on a role ...
- Whether you work in childcare or have children of your own, you should be aware of how anxiety can present itself in kids. Learn about the types of anxiety disorders, what to look out for and how you can help an anxious child flourish. If you don't live with anxiety, it will be hard to imagine the hardship that comes with daily life. Sadly, some people live in endless worry and stress. It is an unforgiving condition that can have a heavy impact on someone's entire life. Unfortunately, the cruel disorder can hit anyone, including children. The innocent tots often find themselves with hearts racing and are overcome with worry; even when they're standing still, surrounded by loved ones. What's more, there are several kinds of anxiety disorders ...