CSCS Card: Everything You Need to Know

CSCS Card: Everything You Need to Know

Working on a construction site puts you in the presence of danger, sharp objects, fire, heavy machinery and more. Everyone on the site must have proper training and understanding of the potential dangers that they could face, and how to work properly. In ideal circumstances, you could have a qualification that shows the construction has all knowledge, experience and training to work safely on a construction site. This qualification is the CSCS card!

What is CSCS?

 CSCS stands for the Construction Skill Certification Scheme. It is a scheme that provides constructions workers with the necessary knowledge in health and safety to work safely and cautiously on a construction site.

Why should you get a CSCS card?

Holding a CSCS card is not a legislative requirement, but many major build companies may require you to have a valid one. Over time, more and more companies are requiring that their workers have a valid CSCS card. So really, by not getting a CSCS card, you will be lowering your own chances of successfully getting another construction job over time!

How Can You Get a CSCS Card?

There are two main ways to apply for a CSCS card. There is one for individuals and one for employers. To find out the type of CSCS card that you need, use the online Card Finder tool that you can find on the CSCS website.  The tool will take you through a series of questions to put you on the right track, and also confirm which CITB Health, Safety and Environment tests that you will need to be passed. The CSCS card will cost £36 and the CITB health, safety and environment test will cost £21. The first step you must take is to pass the CITB health, safety and environment test for your occupation. Next, send a copy of any relevant qualifications to [email protected] Lastly, you must call 0344 994 4777 and pay £36 for the CSCS card via either debit or credit card. Once paid, your CSCS card will then be sent out to you the next day. The cards themselves tend to arrive at their destinations within 20 days of applying.

Types of CSCS Cards Available?

You can obtain a multitude of different CSCS cards. Make sure you first use the Card Finder tool linked above, here are the different types of CSCS cards currently available: Labourer Also known as the Green CSCS card. This card is for construction labourer workers and to obtain this card, you must pass the Level 1 in Health and Safety on a Construction Site, and the CITB Health, Safety and Environment test. Apprentice This card is available to people who have commenced on a recognised apprenticeship framework. This card is valid for four years and six months, and cannot be renewed. Experienced technical, supervisor or manager This card is available to Supervisors, Managers and Technical Workers with on the job experience (normally at least one year in the last three) who have not achieved a construction related NVQ or SVQ level 3, 4 or 5 (or construction-related QCF NVQ Level 6 or 7) and are not a member of an approved Professional Body. Experienced worker This card is available to workers with on the job experience (normally at least one year in the last three). Trainee Card This card is available if you are a trainee and are registered for a qualification that leads to a skilled CSCS card (in the majority of cases a NVQ/SVQ). Skilled worker You can apply for this card if you have either: Achieved a construction related NVQ or SVQ level 2 or Completed an apprenticeship, such as an Employer sponsored apprenticeship, a City and Guilds of London Institute Craft Certificate or a CSCS Approved Trailblazer Advanced Craft This card is available if you have either:

  • Achieved a Construction Related NVQ or SVQ level 3
  • Completed an approved indentured apprenticeship (e.g.with NJCBI, BATJIC etc.)
  • Completed an employer-sponsored apprenticeship which included the achievement of a City and Guilds of London Institute Advanced Craft Certificate.

Supervisory This card is available for supervisor and technical occupations subject to the achievement of a Construction Related Supervisory/Technical NVQ or SVQ level or 4 Manager This card is available for manager and technical occupations subject to:

  • Achievement of a relevant Construction Management/Technical related NVQ/SVQ level 4, 5, 6 or 7

Academically qualified person This card is available to people who have completed certain construction related degrees, HNDs, HNCs, CIOB Certificates and NEBOSH diplomas. Construction site visitor Newly issued visitor cards have a fixed expiry date of 31st August 2020. Professionally qualified person This card is available to competence assessed members of CSCS approved Professional Bodies. Provisional This card is for people who are working through probationary periods while employers assess their suitability for employment.

How Can The Learning Station Help

The Learning Station offer a CSCS Labourer card course also known as a Level 1 health and safety in a construction environment. This will cover one of the two requirements needed to gain your Labourer CSCS card   Featured image: Pexels